《Peter Pan》 By J. M. Barrie Adapted by Cathy East Dubowski
【Chapter Two】 The Children Are Left Unguarded
One night the Darlings were getting ready for a dinner party. Mrs. Darling went into the nusery to show Wendy her new gown. Suddenly Mr. Darling rushed in. "This tie won't tie!" he thundered. Then Nana brushed against him. She got hairs on his new trousers. On top of everything, Michael would not take his medicine. "I always took my medicine without a fuss when I was a baby." said Mr. Darling. "Why, I would take my own medicine now to show you. But I've lost the bottle." In fact, Mr. Darling had hidden it. "I know where it is!" cried Wendy. She quickly brought him the bottle. "Why don't you and Michael take your medicine together?" Mr. Darling did not like that idea one bit. But what could he do? Wendy counted, "One, two, three!" Michael took his medicine. But Mr. Darling hid his behind his back! "Oh, father!" cried Wendy. The children stared as if they no longer admired him. Even Mrs. Darling shook her head. Mr. Darling was embarrassed. Perhaps a good joke would make them respect him again. "Look!" he said. "I'll pour my medicine into Nana's milk. Won't that be funny?" Mr. Darling called Nana to her bowl. The children tried to stop her. But Nana began to drink the milk. Suddenly she stopped. She looked up at Mr. Darling with tears in her eyes. Then she crept into her kennel. The poor dog! Mrs. Darling and the children ran to her side. Mr. Darling completely lost his temper. "I will not allow that animal to rule my nusery any longer!" he shouted. "The proper place for a dog is in the yard!" The children wept. Nana begged. But Mr. Darling wanted to show them who was master. He dragged Nana outside and chained her in the yard. Mrs. Darling put the children to bed. They could hear Nana barking out in the cold. Soon Mr. and Mrs. Darling stepped out into the snowy night. Their party was at number 27, just a few houses down. The stars watched till the door shut behind them. Then the smallest of the stars cried: "Now, Peter!"
Mr. Darling也太誇張了吧？！ 因為Nana不喝他存心作弄她的牛奶， 就大發雷霆的把她趕到院子， 這個男人也未免太小氣了吧？！ 不過像這樣脾氣暴躁的人在世上還真不少， 很不幸的本人也是擁有不耐煩的火爆個性... 但是為了找台階下而把脾氣出在別人身上是絕對錯誤的！ 尤其是出在動物身上，更是要不得啊！
(1) On top of everything, Michael would not take his medicine. "On top of everything"是什麼意思？ 以這篇文章來說，"On top of everything"是指在眾多事件當中，最新發生的一件。 因為如果把這些事件排序的話，最早發生的排下面，最近的排上面，那麼最新的事在最頂頭(top)。 這也是為甚麼在那整個段落裡頭，這句是後講的，因為那是最後發生的(最新事件)。 如果在Michael鬧彆扭之後又緊接著有其它事發生，那麼on top of everything就不能擺在那，要往後移。
(2) "I always took my medicine without a fuss when I was a baby." said Mr. Darling. "Why, I would take my own medicine now to show you. But I've lost the bottle." 第二句出現的"Why"是作何解？"為什麼，我會吃藥給你們看....."用"為什麼"解釋好像怪怪的？ 有兩種解釋： 解釋一：為什麼?然後接著解釋...(自問自答然後示範、解釋) 解釋二："Why"是一種感嘆詞(Interjection)， (表示驚訝,不耐煩,贊成,異議,猶豫或引出另一種想法等)咦,哎呀,哦,當然,唔...
(3) Mr. Darling did not like that idea one bit. 句末的"one bit"是什麼意思？ 有一點;有一點不喜歡; 或相當於中文的"一點也不喜歡"裡頭的"一點"，即"即使是只有那一點點，我還是不喜歡"。
(4) The children stared as if they no longer admired him. Even Mrs. Darling shook her head. 問"no longer"的意思？ 第二句的"Even" Mrs. Darling搖頭，"Even"在此的解釋是？ "no longer"的意思是"不再..."。 "Even"在此的解釋是"甚至連..."。
(5) Mr. Darling completely lost his temper. "I will not allow that animal to rule my nusery any longer!" he shouted. "lost his temper"是指"大發雷霆"嗎？(從下文猜的) 沒錯。 指失去耐心;要大發脾氣了(尤其是配合前頭的completely)
(6) "I will not allow that animal to rule my nusery any longer!" "any longer"的意思？跟"no longer"的差別？ "not any longer" 連一點點也不...(源自於not any more的用法) "any longer"跟"no longer"的差別為"否定句"及"肯定句"寫法的差別。 在此處可以換成no longer使用： I will no longer allow that animal to rule my nursery! I will allow that animal to rule my nursery no long... (bad)→這句不好，因為no long 離前頭的allow太遠了，讀者要讀到最後才知道原來是"不讓"的意思，除非有特別的用意，不然不要這樣子寫。
(7) They could hear Nana barking out in the cold. 此句可以譯為"他們可以聽到Nana在寒冷中嚎叫" 嗎？ 還是" in the cold"有別的解釋？ 可以翻譯成這樣，除此解釋外， "in the cold"也有"被冷落"之意。